The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) was initiated by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Guwahati and Roorkee) along with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 2003. Five core disciplines were identified, namely, civil engineering, computer science and engineering, electrical engineering, electronics and communication engineering and mechanical engineering and 235 courses in web/video format were developed in this phase.
The main goal of NPTEL Phase II (2009-14) was to build on the engineering and core science courses launched previously in NPTEL Phase I. An additional 600 web and video courses were created in all major branches of engineering, physical sciences at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and management courses at the postgraduate level. Several improvements such as indexing of all video and web courses and keyword search were implemented.
NPTEL began offering certification to students for participating in open online courses (which consist of pre-recorded video lectures, lecture notes and assignments all of which are online) in March 2014 through its portal https://onlinecourses.archive.nptel.ac.in/. The portal was powered by Google India.
Through this online portal, courses of 4, 8, and 12 weeks duration in various engineering disciplines, sciences, humanities and management that includes relevant exposure to tools and technologies are currently being offered by NPTEL.
All courses are completely free to enrol and learn from. The certification exam is optional and comes at a fee of Rs 1000/course exam.
Improved academic performance among students
Improved career aspirations among students
1. Industry associated with NPTEL to co-offer courses, which in turn expose learners/students to the current market trends, while connecting the Industries to the best skillset.
2. Fresher Onboarding – For fresher training, both before and after hiring. Industry identify the NPTEL courses which are being offered and give their employees an opportunity to enroll and register courses for their internal or fresher training program to reskill the existing workforce.
3. Upskill workforce-Some of our advanced NPTEL courses are used to upskill the employees.
4. Recruit interns/fresh hires – Industry can offer internship / job opportunity for the NPTEL course toppers
5. Through CSR -Industry support NPTEL by funds received through CSR, which enable the deserving candidates who are economically backward from all over India who require financial support, to complete the learning process and obtain certificate. After clearing the NPTEL certification exam, 50% fee can be refunded.
Refresher courses, AICTE recognized FDP courses